The ‘Low-fat’ food making the western world fatter and mentally sluggish every day that’s in everything is...WHEAT! That’s right, good old wheat that we’ve been brainwashed into consuming for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
95% of the wheat we eat is the refined form that has been stripped of its natural goodness; there is no germ, no bran and very little nutrition. This processed wheat converts to sugar faster than any other grain, which means around 1-2 hours after eating this it your blood sugar plunges and you can get shaky, your brain feels foggy and most often you’ll be reaching for your next meal or sweet snack to pick you back up again.
Wheat also contains gluten, which
if you’re gluten-intolerant (many people are but don’t realise) it can
breakdown the little feelers (villi) that absorb your nutrients.
If you eat wheat for breakfast (most cereals or toast), lunch (sandwich) and dinner (pasta) for years, you will become more prone to:
1.Gaining a stack of weight
2.Breaking down so much villi it can lead to celiac disease, malnutrition and depression.
It is for these and many other reasons naturopaths often have their clients eliminate wheat from their diet and get amazing results in terms of more energy and weight loss.
If you suspect a wheat or gluten intolerance you should have it tested by your health practitioner.Tim Pittorino
Source: Oliver Kitchingman - Network Magazine
Some of these symptoms include: bloating, water retention, fatigue &weight gain; in more severe cases it can cause insomnia, decreased mineral absorption, migraines, constipation and/or diarrhoea.
So if you want to avoid these nasty symptoms avoid stress where you can, including the following Acid-forming foods:
• Refined grains (most breads, biscuits and breakfast cereals)
• White sugar
• Soft drinks/sodas
• Processed foods
• Diet foods, these contain acidic artificial sweeteners - another reason why diet foods are not ideal for weight loss.
• Over the counter medications such as aspirin
• Too much red meat, especially the processed kind like salami and sausages
Unfortunately these foods make up too much of the western diet, which is a MAJOR contributing factor to our growing state of obesity and ill-health.
The alkalizing foods that help restore balance and take the handbrake off your weight loss include:
- Fresh fruit, especially grapefruit, lemon and lime (these may taste acidic but because of the minerals they leave behind have an alkalizing effect)
- All vegetables and vegetable juices, especially green ones
- Wheat grass, if you have a coffee (very acidic) back it up with a wheat grass chaser (very alkaline)
- Almonds are the most alkalizing nut, while not all nuts are alkalizing you should always choose raw nuts over roasted ones
- Grains - If you love your breads, pastas & breakfast cereals look for the ones made with unrefined: Buckwheat, Quinoa and Spelt
- Goats milk - Is more alkalizing than cow’s milk
- Oils - Fish oils, Flaxseed oil and Coconut oil
- Most herbs & spices (Ginger, Cinnamon & Sea salt)
- Blackstrap Molasses (healthier alternative to sugar)
- Probiotics such Kefir or Kombucha
- Teas - Herbal teas such as Dandelion, Ginger & Peppermint
There are more detailed lists online, but you should take note that if your life is busy and/or stressful then you should aim for at least 80% alkalizing foods, if you are relatively stress-free then aim for 60% alkaline foods.